Saturday, February 9, 2013

Sailing the Strait of Gibraltar

     I thoroughly enjoyed my break from classes sailing the Strait with my tias Luann and Cheryl. We had a fabulous time! We spent the week soaking up the sun, exploring several Spanish and African coastal cities, sailing the Mediterranean , eating bon bons, and well you get the idea. ;) It was an ideal vacation, that's for sure!  So thankful for such wonderful aunts that came to visit me her in Spain and for all the memories that I will cherish for a lifetime. I'm so blessed!

Come sail with us... :)
The amazing view in front of our Sailboat.
 That's the Rock of Gibraltar to the left. 
It was so cool to sail around the Rock of Gibraltar our first day at sea. The last day we had some rough seas so when we were heading back to Gibraltar the rock would get bigger (yes!) and then smaller (no!), and then bigger, and then smaller... We were so glad when we finally made it! The rock was a great reference point for our whole trip. :)

At one of our stops on the coast of Africa, in Cuenta. 
Africa's version of a "Spanish" Gibraltar. 

We tried Spanish paella for the first time at one of our stops along 
the eastern coast of Spain. ¡Que rica!

So many gorgeous sunny days, the water just sparkled!

At this port on Spain's coast we were able to see 3 countries. 
Morocco, Gibraltar, and Spain. 
Sitting on Spain, with Morocco to my left and Gilbraltar to my right. Amazing! 


I learned lots of new skills on the sailboat that I'll definitely be adding to my resumé.
For example...
I learned how to hoist a sail. Check out that concentration!

And how to raise the country's flag for all the different ports we entered everyday. See that string in  my right hand (yeah, the one with the flag), 
you're NOT suppose to let go of it. Whoops...  

And how to sail the boat- I'm a sailor, I sail! Only piece of advice from the captain... 
Don't hit the buoys.  Got it.


And we all learned how to tie all sorts of a handy knots to be used on the sailboat.

There was something about a rabbit and tree...?! 

Our last day at sea was by far the roughest, but I still really enjoyed the day a lot. Once we got all geared up in our weather gear we were definitely prepared. 
Dressed for success, that's for sure! 
Don't we look lovely?! 

Our mightly Seawolf sailed on faithfully through the stormy seas. :) 

Our last stop was spent exploring the coast of Africa and touring a small city in Morocco named Tetouan, pretty cool but we were  glad to be back same and sound on our boat. 

Here's Aunt Cheryl trying to buy a Moroccan basket... 
How many Moroccans do you need to sell 1 basket?!  

Touring a Moroccan market.

It was such an amazing trip! 
We said goodbye to Gibraltar by walking around the lighthouse on the Rock. 
Oh, and we stopped for ice cream! ;) 

It's so hard to walk by ice cream shoppes! 

It felt so great to get back to Granada. What a wonderful week it had been! :) 




6 comments:

  1. julie, that looks like SO much fun! I'm so glad you're having such a wonderful study abroad experience. I'm enjoying your blog - when you get back you need to come down here to visit us and keep practicing your Spanish! :) love and prayers! hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great bunch of pix and excellent narration -- almost like being there! Almost...

    Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!! Love the pictures, like living it all over again! So glad you had a good break from classes! Was so special to spend that time with yoU! love tia Luann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your adventures. I keep telling people about when you told me "What day is it? Oh yeah. Saturday. I forget because everyday feels like a Saturday!" Glad you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Memories! What a great time we had! But I do miss you! Tell Mercedes "hello" Love and prayers! Aunt Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Juie, I'm trying again to send a comment. Last time it didn't work. Anyway enjoyed the pictures and glad you had a good time with your "tias" (maybe I'll learn a little too through this). Love you.

    ReplyDelete