Saturday, January 5, 2013

Exploring Granada

I'm getting used to my new Spanish lifestyle! Here's a few pictures of my latest adventures & a few things that I've been learning the last few days here in Spain. 
One of the many plazas located all over the city. It's so neat to see Granada all lit up at night with their fountains and Christmas lights.
In front of my university. The sign reads "El Centro del Languages Modernas". This is the main school building that I will be attending this semester. I was so excited to find it on the map & walk to it from my casa by myself! 
Another one of my school buildings. I can't wait to go inside and explore this one! 
A view of the entire building. Gorgeous!
Looks like a pretty cool place to learn Spanish, huh? 
 The view from my street, love those mountains in the background. 
I can't wait to start hiking them.
 In front of the Correos (Post Office) where we met up with our program 
every morning this week for orientation.
The view from my university. 
 I'm starting to find my around this city! :)

 A group of us went to watch the 3 Reyes (Kings) Parade.

 The streets were packed with people!

 I guess this is the Spanish version of an angel choir. ;)

Now here's a float I finally recognized! Nothing says America like Ronald McDonald. 
And finally here's a picture of my new room. :)

And now a few things I've learned while in Spain...
  • Spanish casas are FREEZING & dark! Apparently they don’t believe in using much electricity or heat here. Brr!
  • Siestas are WONDERFUL
  • I've yet to see a Spanish blonde
  • My Santa Biblia’s my new best friend.
  • My señora assumes I eat like a linebacker… Every time I don’t take eat everything on my plate she asks me if I’m sick, then promptly asks me if I want more. :D
  • The sun doesn’t rise until 8am here.
  • My señora thinks I’m loca if I wake up at 9 on a Saturday! I could get used to this lifestyle ;)
  • The Spanish celebration of the 3 Kings somehow includes Santa Claus too.
  • A tourist stopped me today & asked me for directions! I guess they figured that if I was carrying a map I knew where I was going, how I wish that was true! Needless to say, I wasn't very helpful…
  • Everyone calls me guapa by name here.
  • God’s the same FAITHFUL God here in Spain! 

12 comments:

  1. It is wonderful to see your surroundings and learn that you are getting acclimated. We love you and are keeping you in our prayers (and looking forward to skypeing when you have time).

    Grampy (and Grammy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these pictures are just amazing. Missing you like crazy and wish that we were there enjoying this with you. Keep using that beautiful smile to show God's love in Spain. Praying for you. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. In picture #5, it does look like a beautiful place but not to learn Spanish! Yo quiero Taco Bell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pix! Great to see you in your new environment. Keeping you in our prayers. Love you lots!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you are blogging your trip Julie!! You are such a beautiful girl inside and out and God has amazing plans for you in Spain! I am soooo excited to see how God is going to use you! Keep posting pictures of your adventures :) Always remember God is in control if you completely depend on Him and draw nigh to Him! Love you and I will be continually praying for you! And keep the awesome smile you have always on your face :))))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post! Thanks so much for keeping us updated! We're on the edge of our seats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww peach-hun you look like you are having so much fun! =) I miss my peach-hun here in the US but I love and and hope when you get back I can here all of your amazing stories =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks AMAZING!! So excited for you and the adventures God has in store for you in Spain. Isn't it great that with God in our hearts, He is with us no matter where we go? Enjoyed getting to participate in family skype this afternoon. Blessings on your week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey chica! So glad to see your new home away from home! I was in Morton church today and saw Karissa, and she said she had messaged you :) My grandparents were in Chicago church today, and I thought several times "ooh I should tell them to say hi to Julie for me!" and then I remembered that you're a lot farther away than just Chicago!! SO thankful to hear you're doing pretty well and recovering from that crazy-long flight! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie!! Just found your blog and I'm loving being able to see your adventures!! I'm praying for you...I was kind of sad that you were leaving as I'm coming, but you have been in my thoughts a lot as I adjust to Chicago, knowing you're adjusting to Spain. Praying for ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your university is beautiful! Spanish architecture is amazing; every street a work of art. Enjoy! P.S. I'm experiencing this trip vicariously through you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Julie, I hope you were able to read our comment. What a wonderful opportunity for you!! I sent our comment yesterday 1/22
    Hope you could read it Love, Ed and Bev Gerber

    ReplyDelete