Monday, January 7, 2013

The Alhambra

Words can't even begin to describe how beautiful Granada's Alhambra is! The Alhambra's an ancient Moorish fortress and palace built in 1248. I was so impressed with this gigantic fortress, and added a few of my favorite pictures but believe me these pictures do not do the Alhambra justice! Touring the Alhambra with my CEA group has definitely topped all that I've done and seen so far in Spain, it was AMAZING! :) 

 Our first view of the city of Granada from the Alhambra walls.

 The gardens surrounding the Alhambra were GORGEOUS, even in the winter! I definitely can't wait to come back in the Spring and see all the flowers and plants. My señora claims it's the most beautiful in the Spring, so I'm looking forward to seeing it in full bloom. 

 I just love these casas blancas surronded by the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Breathtaking!

 Our awesome tour guide, Nacho! 

 Half of the CEA group- we're the ones who opted for the Spanish version of the tour. Gotta learn the language somehow, right?! 

 There were tons of fountains and pools inside the palace.  

 With Lizzie, a friend from ISU :)

 So many beautiful jardines! 

 Kara y Lizzie :) Every corner we turned there was another beautiful visa! 
Isn't Granada stunning? 

 This was taken from one of the highest military towers in the fortress. 

 I couldn't stop taking pictures! 

 Allison y Gloria :) It was so amazing to see a panoramic view of Granada on top of the Military tower. 

The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation , and my high tower. ~ Psalm 18:2 

 I can't believe I get to live here for a whole semester!  


I hope you got a small taste of the Alhambra's beauty and will come visit it (& me!) sometime soon yourself! :)


After walking around the Alhambra all morning I was super hungry, but I never should have told my  señora this, she made me even MORE food! It was quite a feast. Where are my brother's when I need them?! 

7 comments:

  1. Nice! You know, when you feel like you can't stop taking pictures; just keep taking pictures! :)

    Can't wait to tour Alhambra with you in March -- make sure all those flowers are blooming by then, OK?

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are having a wonderful time Julie! We are enjoying reading your blog, and continuing to pray for you! We love you!!!!
    Kory and Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,
    I am loving your pictures. It is making me miss Granada. I forgot to tell you about the Alhambra. It is a beautiful place. It looks like you are enjoying all the great sites and culture. Have some tapas and spanish ham for me. Enjoy!
    Deanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great to see your pix Julie. Beautiful! Study hard and eat hearty :) Our love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,
    Kids got a real thrill talking to you via Skype on Sunday. they like the pictures. They said "It looks like she is on vacation" We assured them you will start studying soon and learning a language and culture is very mentally challenging. Please keep sharing with us throughout your journey. Love and miss you. The Rassis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie,
    It's all so beautiful! Counting the days till our trip! very excited for you that you can be over there!
    mucho amor
    Tia Luann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are like a flashback! The view from the Alhambra is incredible. Enjoy the comidas deliciosas y grandes. Are you ever tempted to save some of the leftovers for breakfast? A few crusts of bread just doesn't seem satisfying to those of us who were taught that breakfast is the most important meal of the day! :) At least the coffee is tasty!

    ReplyDelete